[Paraview] Using VR-Style input devices

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Wed Oct 24 11:01:37 EDT 2012

Hi Johannes,

Very recently, we have improved the VR API and related tools and now
the VR plugin comes with a GUI to configure connection managers and
interactor styles.

The way it works now is that you create a connection manager (lines
475 - 483), which will be generated by the GUI if used, and then for
the styles,
you would link it with the ID of the proxy and its specific property
that you want to control. Now said that the GUI shows you the name of
the proxy and not the ID
for obvious reasons. Then depending upon the type of the proxy and
property you specify a particular input from a HCI device. Currently
we support analog, button, and tracker.

The wiki here is bit old:
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Users_Guide/CAVE_Display
We wrote a source article as well: http://www.kitware.com/source/home/post/66

This recent work is not in master yet (hopefully this Friday) but you
can checkout this branch: vtk_vr_improvements_new_gui
if you want to from paraview stage repository. The branch contains
bunch of bug fixes, and API improvements.

475   <VRConnectionManager>
476     <VRUIConnection name="vrui" address="localhost" port = "8555">
477       <Button id="0" name="1"/>
478       <Button id="1" name="2"/>
479       <Button id="2" name="3"/>
480       <Tracker id="0" name="head"/>
481       <Tracker id="1" name="wand"/>
482     </VRUIConnection>
483   </VRConnectionManager>
484   <VRInteractorStyles>
485     <Style class="vtkVRTrackStyle" proxy="267"
property="EyeTransformMatrix">
486       <Tracker name="vrui.head"/>
487     </Style>
488     <Style class="vtkVRGrabWorldStyle" proxy="267"
property="ModelTransformMatrix">
489       <Tracker name="vrui.wand"/>
490       <Button name="vrui.1"/>
491     </Style>