[Paraview] MacOSX Linking problems

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Thu Oct 11 21:02:44 EDT 2012

I think this is exactly the same problem that I've seen on all mac
platforms where HDF5 is installed from macports.  You can either uninstall
hdf5 from macports, or you need to feed even more detailed information to
paraview.  You can edit the CMakeCache.txt file in the paraview build
directory and put this:

VTK_USE_SYSTEM_HDF5:BOOL=ON
HDF5_INCLUDE_DIR=/opt/local/include
HDF5_INCLUDE_DIRS=/opt/local/include
HDF5_LIBRARIES=/opt/local/lib/libhdf5.dylib;/opt/local/lib/libhdf5_cpp.dylib

Mike, I think that the problem is that with VTK_USE_SYSTEM_HDF5=OFF, vtk
will build its own hdf5, but some conflicting hdf5 headers from the system
install under /opt/local/include sneak in, and cause link errors.

Pat