[Paraview] ParaView build options for OSMesa, offscreen rendering

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Thu Oct 11 10:53:45 EDT 2012

I decided to start a new thread.  The original subject was "[Paraview] Is
there any point to compiling with MPI but without offscreen rendering?" and
John Biddiscombe asked if I had thoughts on improvements to the cmake
options for compiling VTK and ParaView with OSMesa.

For me, I pretty much just have two use cases, 1) vanilla ParaView, or 2)
ParaView configured with OSMesa and without X11.  I'm not sure that I've
ever worried about the VTK_USE_OFFSCREEN option or the pvserver flag
--use-offscreen-rendering.  But maybe these options are required to satisfy
other use cases?  I'm not sure.

Pat