[Paraview] Paraview GUI suddenly won't open time series

Celia Bremer fuwsle at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 4 18:16:48 EDT 2012

Hello,

When I last used PV a couple of days ago, everything was fine. But today, something happened, and PV won't open time series anymore from the GUI. It works if I load a state file. But if I go to the folder that has the file series through the open dialog, the files don't show up as a series, they just show up as individual files.

I tried restarting, uninstalling PV & reinstalling. I also tried deleting .ini in AppData. I'm using Paraview 3.14.1 binary on Windows 7 x64. What else can I do?

What I was doing when this happened:

1. I used an external program to make some files and put them in a folder. Then I went into PV, got the open dialog, and I wanted to see if the files would group together into time series how I wanted them. It turned out they didn't because I had 2 number series in filenames, and PV ignores the first one. (My filename was something like Abc##.def.f#.vtk, and I wanted PV to pay attention just to the first ##.) Instead, PV grouped them by f#. So I needed new filenames.

2. I tried renaming a few files to e.g. Abc##.def.f#vtk to see if PV groups them by Abc##. They weren't grouped. I thought perhaps grouping and time series business is reserved only for known extensions.

3. So I renamed the files to f#.Abc##.def.vtk. Again, they didn't show up grouped. Weird.

4. That was when I noticed that the other (csv) files in that folder, ones that showed up as grouped previously, weren't grouped. However, I could open a pvsm file that I saved a couple days ago where those files were opened as a time series.

I would appreciate any ideas!

Celia