[Paraview] Need help with programmable filter output

Scott Ripplinger bigbluedart at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 23:35:38 EST 2012

I am attempting to run an analysis on some data which requires summing up
some numbers down to a single value for the whole domain for each time
step.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the output and what VTK
classes and functions to use.  Here is what I have so far:

import math

input = self.GetInputDataObject(0,0)

output = self.GetOutputDataObject(0)

numPoints = input.GetNumberOfPoints()

points = input.GetPointData()

SurfCvg = 0

for i in xrange(numPoints):

 d = points.GetArray('d').GetValue(i)

 coords = input.GetPoint(i)

 z = coords[2]

 h = 0.00015 - abs(z - 0.00015) - 0.5*d

 H0 = 2*h/d

 if (H0 < 0.002):

  SurfCvg = SurfCvg + 0.25*math.pi*d*d

Theta = SurfCvg/(0.01*0.001)

outputarray = vtk.vtkFloatArray()

outputarray.SetNumberOfValues(1)

outputarray.SetValue(0, Theta)

output.GetRowData().AddArray(outputarray)

I'm not even sure what to use as the output data set type.  In the end I
need to plot (or export as a table) the value of "Theta" across all my time
steps.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

-Scott