[Paraview] VTK-file written by ParaView cannot be read by ParaView

Ian Krukow i.krukow at tu-braunschweig.de
Wed Nov 28 15:10:00 EST 2012

Ok, that helps for a possible solution. Thanks!
With

writer = CreateWriter('sol_i=0.vtm')
writer.UpdatePipeline()

I get an XML file, that can be loaded back into ParaView.
---
Still the behaviour I noticed before remains strange.

I used the extension ".vtk". From the GUI, I chose "Save Data", and then
"Legacy VTK Files(*.vtk)", which should be a valid option, because it is
explicitly offered. The pvpython commands were

writer = DataSetWriter(slice)
writer.FileName = 'sol_i=0.vtk'
writer.FileType = "Ascii"
writer.UpdatePipeline()

The result of both is the same, i.e. a file with the following structure:

# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
vtk output
ASCII
DATASET MULTIBLOCK
CHILDREN 96
CHILD 0
# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
vtk output
ASCII
DATASET POLYDATA
POINTS 39714 float
POLYGONS 77132 308528
POINT_DATA 39714
ENDCHILD
CHILD 0
# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
vtk output
ASCII
DATASET POLYDATA
POINTS 219146 float
ENDCHILD
CHILD 0
ENDCHILD

Each part between "CHILD 0" and "ENDCHILD" would be a complete Legacy
VTK file in itself.
The ParaView version is 3.14.1.

By the way, when I use

writer = CreateWriter('sol_i=0.vtk')

I get the following error message:

ERROR: In [...]\src\ParaViewCore\ServerManager\vtkSMWriterFactory.cxx,
line 374
vtkSMWriterFactory: No matching writer found for extension: vtk

Is ".vtk" not a valid file extension?