[Paraview] Embedding Paraview in PyQT based application

Indrajit Jagtap indrajit.jagtap at tridiagonal.co.in
Mon Nov 19 03:54:09 EST 2012

Hi All,

I have a query as mentioned below. I would like to know whether this is
feasible, if yes, can I get some sample code example. Any inputs in this
regard are highly appreciated.

The requirement is as follows -

 1. There is a PyQT based application.
 2. The Paraview window is embedded within the QT widget as shown in
    attached image. Note - the attached image is just an illustration,
    not from the actual app
      * This is something similar to embedding activex control
 3. The user inputs are collected through user interface and STL file is
    opened in Paraview viewer programmatically.
 4. User can perform certain activities with STL file within Paraview
    viewer that are supported by Paraview i.e. pan, zoom etc.
 5. The application can perform certain tasks programmatically using
    Paraview functions -
      * Set the location of STL file and the position of STL object is
        updated in viewer
      * Query the position or transformation of objects displayed
      * Handle events generated by Paraview i.e. create slots for
        signals from Paraview
 6. If user selects some objects in Paraview viewer, application should
    be able to detect the selection and get the selection list
 7. In general, the activities that user can perform interactively with
    Paraview, whether same can be done programmatically via PyQT
    application that embeds Paraview? Upto what extent?

Regards,

Indrajit