[Paraview] Persistent data across time step changes in programmable filter

Sean Ziegeler sean.ziegeler at nrlssc.navy.mil
Fri Nov 9 13:43:22 EST 2012

Howdy!  I'm writing a programmable filter that makes changes to a vector
field based on grid point properties (it's a polar orthographic
transform using a highly accurate Earth shape model).

This works well.  However, when one changes the time step, it recomputes
those grid point properties to apply to the vector field.  This is a
very expensive operation, and is quite unnecessary since the grid
doesn't change over time.  I'd like to somehow cache the grid point
property array so that I could simply reuse it if it's already been
computed.

I thought about storing it as a Field Data array.  However, can one be
guaranteed that the Field Data from the programmable filter *output*
will still be in place within the same filter when the pipeline
re-executes?  If not, is there some other mechanism for a programmable
filter to retain persistent data across time step changes?

Thanks!
Sean