[Paraview] CoProcessing needed fields

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Thu Nov 8 18:41:13 EST 2012

Andy,

Thanks for the answer.

What I'm doing doesn't use any writers -- I just want the CoProcessor to output images only. So I don't attach a writer, I just export the state and tell it to "Output Rendering Components". My pipeline looks like:

Load file -> CellDataToPointData -> Slice

This results in a RequestDataDescription:

def RequestDataDescription(datadescription):
"Callback to populate the request for current timestep"
if datadescription.GetForceOutput() == True:
for i in range(datadescription.GetNumberOfInputDescriptions()):
datadescription.GetInputDescription(i).AllFieldsOn()
datadescription.GetInputDescription(i).GenerateMeshOn()
return

for input_name in simulation_input_map.values():
LoadRequestedData(datadescription, input_name)

This means in my case, there are no fields defined inside the datadescription. So when I try to do the IsFieldNeeded() call in my adaptor, it's always false. If I print the number of fields from GetNumberOfFields(), I get 0.

So my images when they pop out have no data -- the fields don't exist for them to plot. It's just the slice using the default color for the surface.

I got it to work by making a new variable just under simulation_input_map:

simulation_cell_fields_needed = {simulation_input_map['rest_00000.xmf']: ["Temperature [K]", "Density [kg/m^3]"]}
simulation_point_fields_needed = {simulation_input_map['rest_00000.xmf']: []}

and putting in RequestDataDescription before the loop that calls LoadRequestedData:

for input_name in simulation_input_map.values():
idd = datadescription.GetInputDescriptionByName(input_name)
for cell_fields in simulation_cell_fields_needed[input_name]:
idd.AddCellField(cell_fields)
for point_fields in simulation_point_fields_needed[input_name]:
idd.AddPointField(point_fields)

When I do that, it all works.

Now, I guess my question is this... Where in the exported state script does it say what fields there are in the data? If I do a trace, when I load a file, I get something like:

REST_00207_xmf.CellArrays = ['APD_mass_fraction', 'APD_reaction_rate', 'AP_mass_fraction', 'AP_reaction_rate', 'BND_mass_fraction', 'BND\
_reaction_rate', 'Density [kg/m^3]', 'HybridSwitch', 'N2_mass_fraction', 'PRD_mass_fraction', 'PRD_reaction_rate', 'Pressure [Pa]', 'Subgrid\
kinetic energy [m^2/s^2]', 'Temperature [K]', 'Velocity [m/s]', 'iblanks']

and I expected something similar in the exported state script. But I don't see anything like that.

Following the Fortran API, I call the ClearFieldDataFromGrid which may get rid of the fields that Paraview told it the pipeline needs.

I could be misunderstanding something, I've never used VTK before this little project attempt. I can certainly send my adaptor code and python script if it helps clarify.

Thanks again,

Tim