[Paraview] Using VR-Style input devices

Johannes Zarl johannes.zarl at jku.at
Wed Nov 7 08:06:59 EST 2012

Am 05.11.2012, 23:55:58 schrieb Aashish Chaudhary:
> >  - It would be nice if the grab tool would work globally, more like the
> >
> > mouse,
> > and not have to be connected to a specific object.
>
> I am not so sure what you are saying here, because currently the grab style
> just works on the scene and not on a particular object. Current we don't
> perform intersection but you could extend the style to do so.

Maybe I just used it wrongly. you mean that the grab style should be attached
to a renderview property? What I did is to attach the Grab style to a source
(e.g. Box0.Center). Therefore I assumed  that it would only affect that object.

> > 2) Display issues:
> >  - In a curved screen setup powered by 3 overlapping projectors, the
> >
> > perspective seems to be incorrect:
> > This can be most easily observed when you move your head past the
> > coordinate
> > system origin. What I would expect to see is that the z-axis (pointing
> > out of
> > the screen) points somewhat to the right when my x-position is negative,
> > and
> > to the left when my x-position is positive. What I actually see is that
> > the perspective of the axis-cross does not change.
> > What could I have messed up in the configuration that would cause this?
>
> is it possible for you to share a movie?

I'll do that.

> >  - When moving a Slice-plane using the tracker
> >
> > (SliceOrigin,SliceOrientation),
> > the displayed slice plane is not updated. I can see that the plane was
> > moved
> > on the client window, but the actual slice is not affected. I have to
> > move the
> > plane a little with the mouse to trigger an update of the slice.
>
> Seems like a bug. We recently updated the slice style. Hopefully soon we
> will be pushing this branch to master.

Ok. So I'll stick with the master branch...

> >  - Grabbing an object only affects the object in the client window, not
> >  the server view.
> > When the Grab tool is connected to an object, I can move that object
> > around,
> > but I only see this in the client window. On the server side, things are
> > totally unaffected by the changes. (I didn't test this one again with the
> > new
> > git master, so excuse me if it has been fixed since 3.14.1)
>
> I see. This particular style is not tested well and was intended for the
> testing purposes.

Ah ok. Then I'll focus on the other styles for now, Manipulating a slice is
more important for the moment, anyways.

> > 3) Loose ends
> > I didn't find anything I can do with an analog input. Do I have to enable
> > some
> > special build option to enable those?
>
> It depends on the style. If a style needs an analog input, it will use it
> if configured correctly. Currently we don't have any interactor style that
> uses any analog input. if you do have such requirement, we could help you
> write one.

Changing some analog value (like the opacity of an object) or rotating an
object using a joystick would be great, but I'll come back to you if we really
need it.

Cheers,
  Johannes