[Paraview] Please could explain what vtkUnstructuredGrid::GetCellNeighbors(vtkIdType cellId, vtkIdList *ptIds, vtkIdList *cellIds) actually does?

Fred Fred stan1313 at hotmail.fr
Thu May 31 12:08:13 EDT 2012

This method is really badly documented: "Topological inquiry to get all cells using list of points exclusive of cell specified (e.g., cellId)."
What does it mean? What is the purpose of ptIds?
I have spent about 30 minutes trying to understand the code but I rarely saw a so complicated and unclear algorithm (3 for loops, 14 different local variables + 3 arguments in 50 lines of code) and actually I still do not understand the code (why is it necessary to find the point with the least valence??).
So my problem is simple : I want to get the cell neightbors of a given cell (neightbor = share at least a face), please could anybody tell me what I should put in that ptIds parameter?
Thx in advance for your help.