[Paraview] programmable access to vector components (via Python)

Fabian Wein fabian.wein at am.uni-erlangen.de
Fri May 25 10:03:12 EDT 2012

I just submitted a bug report: http://paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=13204

> files, however, I have never used it. I graduated from VTK
> XML-structured ASCII-text results files to the EnSight
> binary-formatted specification in order to get compact, manageable
> file-sets for my modestly large explicit transient dynamic simulations.

We are happy with HDF5 but this requires a own reader plugin for
our format which we wrote some years ago. With HDF5 we have also access
via Matlab, with is a plus for us.

> If the error message reflects a "limitation" in the Calculator, then
> the Calculator only processes scalars and vectors (1st-order tensors),
> and that in itself is no small accomplishment.

My "mechTensor" is just a vector with 6 components, so the limitation is
with the size of the vector.

This answers two of my questions:

> * am I right with the assumption, that the calculator does not like double characters after the underline?
> * Is this XX, YY, ... coming from Paraview?

Anyone who can help me with the following two?

> * How do I access the vector components via python?
> * Where can I find more information about the python interface?

Thanks a lot,

Fabian