[Paraview] Best file format for volume rendering in ParaView?

Christoffer Green christoffer.green at gmail.com
Wed May 23 03:38:04 EDT 2012

Hello

Thank you for the suggestions.

The use case is that I am currently writing an application (based on
ParaView) that is going to be used by doctors/researchers for visualizing
MRI data of blood flow (some more information can be found here:
http://www.jcmr-online.com/content/14/S1/W14 ). This means that the user
has some data files (volumes of velocity data, 2d image planes, none of the
data is axis aligned, all of it overlapping) and they need to get this data
in to the application and I am currently trying to figure out what the
recommended way of doing this would be. I can not rely on the users having
any deep knowledge of ParaView, 3d math or even above basic general
computer skills so asking them to write macros or manually rotating the
data might not work well :)

The data->cleantogrid->volume render workflow sounds interesting. My
current problem with it (as well as using mergeblocks instead of
cleantogird) is that it appears to take about 8 hours to produce a result
that way (I do not know what that result is yet since I have not seen it
through to the end). This is off course unacceptably slow but perhaps this
is a bug?

But if I understand you correctly you are saying that unstructured grid is
the data format that would be best for this. Is there any file format that
when imported is an unstructured grid by default and would doing it that
way speed things up massively?

BR/ Christoffer