[Paraview] Understanding XDMF

David Zemon david.zemon at mst.edu
Fri May 18 19:51:47 EDT 2012

Hello,

I am trying to understand the XDMF file format to import my own files
into ParaView. Let's say I have the following 16 XYZ points:

    12.3500   95.1900        20.00
    27.2600   60.2600        33.00
    38.6000   69.5200        33.00
    60.2000        -152.3300    93.00
    -15.9600    26.0800        33.00
    -17.8400    168.0900    61.00
    13.8000        -90.7300    59.00
    6.8400        -73.0700    163.00
    -15.6200    26.3200        33.00
    -31.2100    58.7200        10.00
    38.8100        -27.7800    10.00
    51.1500        -129.8700    10.00
    3.4900        126.7200    54.00
    24.0500        121.7200    65.00
    -13.4700    166.7500    60.00
    3.1100        -79.3700    33.00

with intensity values:

    5.10
    5.30
    4.20
    4.20
    4.10
    4.80
    4.60
    4.70
    4.20
    5.00
    7.20
    4.40
    5.00
    4.00
    5.10
    4.20

How do I get these to points to be displayed as a 3d scatter plot in
ParaView with the intensity values changing the color of each point? I
made some attempt at an xdmf file but it currently only shows a single
white dot. The "Information" tab in paraview recognizes all 16 points
and seems to know where they should be (creates good axises), but only
the first one is being displayed. Attached is my attempt. I'm guessing
it's something to do with the "dimensions" attribute and whether or not
there should be spaces, tabs, or new lines between each value for the
topology. These aspects very much confuse me.

Thanks,
David Zemon