[Paraview] pv 3.8 segfaults on opening raw binary files

Mohammad Mirzadeh mirzadeh at gmail.com
Tue May 15 17:25:57 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

I have a problem getting pv open my binary file. It basically segfaults and
terminates without any information. When I run in gdb I get:

ERROR: In /build/buildd/paraview-3.8.1/VTK/IO/vtkDataReader.cxx, line 1910
vtkUnstructuredGridReader (0x19f6890): Unsupported data type: 1

Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
0x00007fffeaeb6597 in
vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter::UnstructuredGridExecute(vtkDataSet*, vtkPolyData*)
()
   from /usr/lib/paraview/libvtkGraphics.so.pv3.8

Program terminated with signal SIGBUS, Bus error.

Is there something wrong with my data file? I could send a sample file if
needed. I basically followed http://www.vtk.org/VTK/img/file-formats.pdf to
write the binary format.