[Paraview] VRPN Problem detailed desciption

Nikhil Shetty nikhil.shetty at kitware.com
Wed Mar 14 11:45:04 EDT 2012

Hi Christian,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Christian Wohlschlager <
Christian.Wohlschlager at jku.at> wrote:

>  Dear Nikihil !
>
>  YEESS very good  thank you for your support i tell you next ParaView
> master how it s going on
>
>  the secound thing with the cutfunvtion:
>
>  I try to visualsize a skill made from a mr in the cave.

 With a PAD ( incuding a tracking device and some buittons ) a try to move
> the skul and a secound button where i try to make a kind of hole in the
> skull and i can see thru.
>
> therefor i need a Headtracker ok
>
> a wand ( not ok)
>
> a button ( should be ok)
>
> and a secound button which simulates the tracking coordinate and a hole or
> cut there.
>
> From what I understand

   - head tracking is not a problem
   - A button where you can move the world with the tracked pad . This is
   available as the update matrix interactor style which updates wandpos. Wand
   is simply a name we use for any tracked device other than head. Basically
   you want to manipulate the world based on some tracked input and updating
   wand pos does that.
   - For making a hole in the skull part you can put a cutting plane  and
   use the existing interactor styles to manipulate its cut function. However
   the cut plane may have to be turned on and off from Paraview's GUI cause we
   do not have any interactor style yet to handle this.

Note: The entire scene has to be constructed in Paraview with the data the
filters and the cutting plane before the interactor styles are placed
inside the state file.

-Nikhil

> [...]
>

>    On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Christian Wohlschlager <
> Christian.Wohlschlager at jku.at> wrote:
>
>>  Hy Nikhil !
>>

>>  Yes it worked at least for the head sensor, for the wandpos i need the
>> cutfunktion i didnt managed to put this in the pvsm file (if i did it
>> crashes sometimes or even didnt start at all)
>>

>   The cutfunction typically comes with a slice or clip filter. Can you
> send me a few more details as to the process you followed and what errors
> you see.
>

>   HeadPos and WandPos are both set on the vtkCamera (or RenderView in
> case of PV). There was a bug which didnt update the WandPos on the server
> side and I pushed a fix for that and in VTK and am waiting for it to get
> into ParaView master (it may come in by Friday).
>

>>  it seems to me that using the VRPlugin the system is slower than
>> before, is there something i can do to make it a little bit faster ( i have
>> enough cpus) it looks to me that even the crosshair cursor is slower than
>> before, so this looks like it done allways slow using this VRPlugin .
>>
>> But anyway thanks for your help on this issue before i managed with you
>> help to make it run.
>>

>   Yes we identified this performance issue as well last week and have a
> fix for it in next branch and am awaiting for it to get into ParaView
> master (hopefully by Friday). You can pull pv next and compile it in the
> time being.
>

>   -Nikhil
>

>    mfg
>>

>>  christian
>>

>> Christian Wohlschlager
>> JKU Universität Linz
>> Altenbergerstr.69
>> 4040 Linz
>> Austria
>>

>>   >>> Nikhil Shetty <nikhil.shetty at kitware.com> 3/12/2012 12:03 PM >>>
>> Hi Christian,
>>

>>   Yes this will be a little annoying till a GUI is developed to handle
>> this. But right now we have need to manually figure this out.
>>

>>   You need to construct your pipeline and have pv Proxy Objects in place
>> before you can apply VR interactor styles to them.
>>

>>   So things like 'RenderView1.HeadPose' implies 'Proxy.Property'. The
>> state file stores this information about what Proxies and properties are
>> available so you could infer this info from the state file. An easier way
>> to figure out the objects available is to use the Property Linking Tool in
>> the GUI
>>

>>   Tools->Manage Links->Add->Mode:PropertyLinks
>>

>>    I am attaching a sample state file which may be useful.
>>

>>    -Nikhil
>>

>>   On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Christian Wohlschlager <
>> Christian.Wohlschlager at jku.at> wrote:
>>
>>>  Dear Nikhil !
>>>

>>>  Sorry didnt tell you what the exact error message was:
>>>

>>>  on the client side ( pvserver loaded )
>>>
>>> after loading the *.pvsm state file
>>>

>>>  vtkVRStyleTracking::GetOutProxyNProperty
>>>
>>> Proxy ( RenderView) :Not Found
>>>
>>> vtkVRStyleGrabNUpdateMatrix::GetOutProxyNProperty

>>> 4040 Linz