[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Paraview can't show grads origin data

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Mar 12 12:57:27 EDT 2012

I don't know what you mean by a "grad" or what problem it is causing, so
I'm going to make a total guess.  I am guessing that you mean gradian (a
unit equal to 9/10 of a degree).  Furthermore, because I can't think of
any other way such units would mess you up, I am guessing that you are
trying to write spherical coordinates in terms of gradians, but ParaView
is interpreting them either as degrees or as Cartesian coordinates.

Assuming that this is the problem, it is caused by the fact that the
default netCDF reader for ParaView honors the CF convention
(http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov), and the CF convention specifies spherical
coordinates in terms of degrees.  To specify angles in any other units is
to break the convention.

Your best solution is to convert your gradians to degrees (it's OK to have
floating-point degrees) and write a netCDF file that properly follows the
CF convention.

If I have completely missed the point of your question, you'll have to
better explain what are grads and what problem you are having with them.

-Ken