[Paraview] VirtualGL/TurboVNC and multi-GPU - using only one GPU?

Paul McIntosh paul.mcintosh at internetscooter.com
Thu Mar 1 23:25:42 EST 2012

All,

I worked out the issue with ParaView and narrowed it down to the fact that
the ParaView client was launching the pvservers with it's own environment.
As ParaView was running through VirtualGL, all the servers used the same
rendering libraries (which were faked by VirtualGL). I solved the problem by
saving the needed variable when ParaView client starts...

LD_PRELOAD_SAVE=$LD_PRELOAD
LD_PRELOAD=
export LD_PRELOAD
vglrun paraview

Then I reload it before I start the servers...

echo "reloading non-virtualgl environment" $LD_PRELOAD_SAVE
LD_PRELOAD=$LD_PRELOAD_SAVE
export LD_PRELOAD
mpirun ... blah blah blah

This is now implemented in our 3.14.0  config and I am now see ~2 FPS with a
10G dataset on a single node :) e.g. below from timing log

Local Process
Interactive Render,  0.062107 seconds
Interactive Render,  0.05679 seconds
Still Render,  0.433776 seconds