[Paraview] normals in programmable filter

Kathleen Schwarz kas382 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 26 14:09:11 EDT 2012

Hello,
I am trying to transform a surface using a programmable filter, and I am
unable to get the output to use the normals.  Even the most basic filter:

 output.PointData.append(inputs[0].PointData['Normals'], 'Normals')

results in the mesh being copied but the normals not being used.  The
normals appear as a Data Array, but are not used in rendering.  However,
using the copy arrays option in the properties of the programmable filter
lead to the normals being used correctly.

What I would like to do is to apply an affine transformation on the point
positions and normals (and visualize contours of a scalar field on a
uniform, nonorthogonal parallelepiped grid), so I can't just use the copy
arrays option.

Thanks in advance!
-Katie