[Paraview] injecting objects from python

Hal Canary hal at cs.unc.edu
Tue Jun 19 07:32:44 EDT 2012

On 06/19/2012 07:24 AM, Gertjan van Zwieten wrote:
> Hi Hal, thanks for your quick reply and the example code. That's very
> helpful. I do have these remaining questions that perhaps you could help
> me with:
>
>   * In your experience, is a programmable source a suitable place to
>     call a potentially long running finite element code?

If it fails, you may be unable to cancel the operation.  I've had to
kill ParaView when a script went into an infinite loop.

>   * Is it possible to update the data structure while it is already
>     being displayed, that is, before the script finishes?

No that I know of.  If you have three "stages" to your algorithm you
could create one programmable source and two programmable filters.  Then
you could inspect intermediary data before moving on.

>   * And is it possible to have a programmable source output multiple
>     data sets if necessary?

Not that I know of.  Would a multi-block dataset work?