[Paraview] injecting objects from python

Gertjan van Zwieten gertjanvanzwieten at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 06:10:34 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I am new to this list, and I fear that my question is of the kind that
comes back every once in a while - though I have not managed to find it. I
am hoping that somebody can give me a quick "yes, this is possible" or "no,
this is not possible" here.

I am currently using paraview for my visualizations by writing vtu files
from python and then loading them, which is a bit of a hassle - especially
when I just want to do some quick parameter fiddling. And it bothers me
(conceptually) that data has to make the slow travel from memory to disk
and back.

Ideally I would link to paraview and inject objects and widgets
directly. Additionally it would be great to update the model during
computations. However I cannot seem to figure out if (and then how) this is
possible. I have read the python
scripting<http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Python_Scripting> guide
and tried some examples there such as the cone, but it gives me a plain
window  without even mouse interaction (which I imagine can be added), not
the full featured paraview instance I had hoped for.

So my question is simply if it is possible to inject objects from python
into an already running or separately spawned paraview instance? If so, any
pointers in that direction (an example script?) would of course be
enormously helpful.

Thanks!

Gertjan van Zwieten