[Paraview] VTK reader does not populate properties dialog?

Alexander Tchekhovskoy atchekho at princeton.edu
Fri Jun 15 13:16:17 EDT 2012

Hello All,

I am having trouble reading a binary VTK file in Paraview. Here is a simple
VTK file (zipped paraview_test.vtk:
http://www.princeton.edu/~atchekho/paraview_test.zip , 29Kb) generated by
visit_writer plugin for VisIt. The file uses a curvilinear structured grid.
 The file opens and renders OK in VisIt.  However, when I open it in
ParaView, the grid shows fine but the properties box stays empty (see
screenshot at http://www.princeton.edu/~atchekho/properties_tab.jpg ,
83Kb), and I cannot visualize any variables.  I know the variables are
there because the Information tab does show the variable ("B") that is in
the file (see screenshot at
http://www.princeton.edu/~atchekho/information_tab.jpg , 115 Kb).  I tried
searching on the web and found that this can happen if a reader plugin does
not populate the properties (
http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2011-April/021081.html). In this
case reader plugin is a standard VTK reader.  Is this a known bug?

Thank you,
Alexander