[Paraview] Compute Derivatives component order??

Felipe Bordeu felipe.bordeu at ec-nantes.fr
Fri Jun 8 08:46:30 EDT 2012

Hi,

I think I did found an inconsistency in the component order in the
compute derivative filter.

The web page
http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/4.0/html/classvtkHexahedron.html#a16 said

Compute derivatives given cell...
  On the other hand, if computing derivatives of velocity (vx,vy,vz)
dim=3, 24 values are supplied ((vx,vy,vz)1, (vx,vy,vz)2, ....()8), and 9
deriv values are returned*((d(vx)/dx),(d(vx)/dy),(d(vx)/dz),
(d(vy)/dx),(d(vy)/dy), (d(vy)/dz), (d(vz)/dx),(d(vz)/dy),(d(vz)/dz)).*

I created a simple test to verified the order (file attached), with 9
vectorial fields that after the Compute Derivative will generate a
tensor full of zeros but with one component equal to one.

for example
If we follow the documentation the field dxdy must generate a tensor
with the terms
0 1 0  0 0 0 0 0 0

but paraview gives
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

can any one confirm this???

working with paraview 3.14.1 64bit Linux

Thanks

--

Felipe Bordeu Weldt
Ingénieur de Recherche