[Paraview] .xyz file loading very slow

Steffen Brinckmann Steffen.Brinckmann at icams.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Jun 4 08:53:19 EDT 2012

Hey,
I use the .xyz format to have my atoms from Molecular Dynamics plotted.
The Point Spirit extension works fast and responsive but loading takes
for ever. Trying different file sizes, I figured out that the loading
time (i.e. after hitting the "Apply" button until I get a first
representation) scales beautifully with
t[sec]=37e-9*numAtoms^2 on my CPU for numAtoms=20000..200000.

I wonder, why is there *quadratic* scaling in *loading*? (which really
is a bummer in MD simulations which typically use more than 1e6. My
small test run with 2e5 atoms, I had to wait 1/2 hour.)

Thanks a lot for your insight.
Steffen

P.S. Coincidentally, printing an Excel chart took also 1/2 hour on a 286
twenty years ago. Perhaps 1/2hour is a global constant for waiting
duration. ;-)