[Paraview] Getting hold of data from a view plugin

Christoffer Green christoffer.green at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 11:13:14 EST 2012

Hello!

I have been trying to get a hold of some vtkPolyData from within the update
function of a paraview view plugin but I am not understanding how to do it.
I have a dataset (vtkPolyData) in paraview that I add to the view by
clicking the eye icon in the object list when the view is active and I now
wonder how I can gain access to that data (I need the data so I can show a
special representation of it in the view plugin).

As far as I (wrongly) understand it it works like this: (?)
In the vtkSM*ViewProxy there is a CreateDefaultRepresentation function that
creates a vtkPVCompositeRepresentation and returns it.
This representation is then sent to the view in the function for the
'representationAdded' signal which can then be used during the update()
function but how do you get any useful data out of this representation that
has been created and given?
Do I need to set up the vtkPVCompositeRepresentation in a correct way so
that it has a reference to the data?

Can anyone lend a hand as to how you get useful data out of the
representation sent to the view? Thanks.

BR/ Christoffer