[Paraview] Extracting maxima of 2D vtu data

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Tue Feb 28 09:39:47 EST 2012

I think using Find Data would be the easiest (Edit->Find Data).  Assuming
Gradients is the name of the field data that you created from your first
Gradient of Unstructured Data Set filter and that you're using Point Data,
set values according to the the attached image.  You probably can't set the
gradient magnitude exactly to 0 as the gradients at the points will
probably not be exactly 0 (that's why I set it to 1).  Then do similar
operations for the second derivatives to get rid of the local minima and
saddle points.  You can then extract that selection if you want to reduce
your data set size.

Alternatively you can use the contour filter for gradients (you'll have to
use the calculator filter to get the magnitude of the gradient) to get
places where the gradient is 0 but not at a point.

Andy