[Paraview] Parallel ParaView - pvserver crash with EnSight file

Paul Urbanczyk urbanczyk1 at llnl.gov
Wed Feb 15 16:51:07 EST 2012

Hello,

I've been having trouble using parallel paraview to process EnSight
data, and am hoping someone on this list might help. I've done a lot of
searching through the archives, and seen similar problems, but have not
been able to track down how they were solved or what the cause was.

My situation:

I'm running a simulation with Star-CCM+ version 6.06.011, and am
exporting data in EnSight Gold (.case) format. While the current
simulations I'm running are small (< 1 mil cells), I will eventually
scale up, thus I'm looking into post-processing with Paraview in
parallel. Star-CCM+ successfully exports the .case file and the
associated variable files. These files are valid and readable by EnSight
(9.2.2).

In trying to read these files with Paraview, I follow the process:

1) Start pvserver on the remote machine (where my data is) with "mpiexec
-np 4 pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering" (this is the osmesa version of
pvserver, by the way)
2) Create an ssh tunnel to the remote machine from my local machine
3) Open Paraview on my local machine, and connect to the pvserver on the
remote
4) Open the case file

Up until this point, everything runs smoothly. pvserver seems to start
fine and waits for connection from the client, and Paraview starts up
fine and connects to the server. Furthermore, when I select the .case
file to open, Paraview successfully creates a .case object in the
pipeline browser, and the variables appear in the Cell/Point Array
Status list in the object inspector.

However, when I hit "apply" on the object inspector to actually import
the variables, one of two things happens. Either, (1) the pvserver will
crash (seg fault), or (2) the data appears to be read and an outline of
my domain/data is displayed.

In case (1), I notice that the statistics inspector actually shows that
data has been read, but the pvserver has crashed, and I have to close
down and restart.

In case (2), the statistics inspector shows data has been read, as does
the information tab in the object inspector. However, if I try to apply
any other representation other than outline, the pvserver immediately
crashes again (seg fault).

I originally thought this might be an issue with the EnSight reader, but
now I'm thinking this may have to do with either the mpi implementation
or the osmesa implementation.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Paul