[Paraview] VRPlugin (some feedback)

Nikhil Shetty nikhil.shetty at kitware.com
Mon Feb 13 13:36:02 EST 2012

Hi Stephan,

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Stephan Rogge
<Stephan.Rogge at tu-cottbus.de>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> @Christian:
> I cannot say, that we have problems by displaying data bigger than 7.5 MB.
> Our focus lies on CFD visualization. But when I understand the other
> threads
> right,
> this problem has been identified.
>
> @Nikhil:
>
> >> Further modifications was necessary in the the vtkVRStyleTracking in
> order
> >> to update the HeadPose. The proxygroup name must be changed to "views".
> The
> >> group name "interactorstyles" in the post mentioned above is NOT
> working,
> >> otherwise the plugin crash, since no proxy or property can be found and
> the
> >> pointer are still NULL after configuration.
> >>
> > What you did is hardcoded to the view. The tracking style can be used for
> > tracking other things like the hand etc. This is configurable from the
> > state file (see document).
>
> In my last post I wrote about the problem of defining the the proxy group
> name. I've made
> a mistake and addressed the class "vtkVRStyleTracking" for this
> modification. This is not
> the case.
> The class "vtkVRInteractorStyle" with its method
> "GetProxy( std::string name, vtkSMProxy ** proxy )" required that
> modification. And here
> I had to "hardcoded" the proxy group name "view" as a first parameter. I
> think, the group
> name shall be provided as an additional parameter or attribute in the
> *.pvsm
> file.

This is fixed in the latest code (you may have already noticed). There were
a few API incompatibilities with the latest paraview code and the VR Plugin
which got fixed.

> Where I can deactivate QTSOCK? There is no option in cmake-gui visible. Or
> is this feature
> And the future?
>
> The QTSOCK will definitely be gone. Its not even an option (just old code
:) ). The future!!! Well it mainly depends on what people would like to see
and who's funding it. But with the current round of funding there are a few
things in the immediate pipeline.

1. Support for side-by-side stereo (for 3dtv's etc in VTK).
2. Adding tests for VR plugin (so be can better identify breakage).
3. Fly-mode interactor style.
4. Hopefully a better way of configuring VR displays and inputs (maybe
implementing a GUI for this). But this is of lower priority for now.

-Nikhil