[Paraview] VRPlugin (some feedback)

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Feb 9 16:11:33 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Stephan Rogge
<Stephan.Rogge at tu-cottbus.de>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’ve start to work intensively with the VRPlugin from git-master and want
> to get some feedback. First of all it works almost great :-). As a tracking
> system I’m using A.R.TrackPack2 with two infrared cameras and their VRPN
> server implementation.

Very cool! thanks for sharing the information.

> To be able to compile that Plugin some modifications were necessary:
> *  As mentioned in this post (
> http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2012-February/023816.html) the
> proxy API undergone some changes. But it seems, that the author of this
> post mixed up the parameter order.  He referred to proxy name and proxy
> group. But it has to be swapped...
> * Not important to me but required  to compile without errors:  In
> vtkVRUIPipe.h the flag QTSOCK is checked for existence. I had to put it in
> manually ("#define QTSOCK 1"). Don't know why.

> Further modifications was necessary in the the vtkVRStyleTracking in order
> to update the HeadPose. The proxygroup name must be changed to "views". The
> group name "interactorstyles" in the post mentioned above is NOT working,
> otherwise the plugin crash, since no proxy or property can be found and the
> pointer are still NULL after configuration.
>
> But so far, I was able to use the VRPlugin in ParaView in a two-side VE
> and I've got the feeling, that virtual object placed in front of the
> screens... :-)

Very nice.

> Now, I have a kind of problem. When I am moving parallel (left to right)
> to the screens, I can observe a sort of rotation which can be not described
> as moving parallax. It seems, that the rotation point lies in the center of
> my projection displays. Object which came out of screen "standing" not on
> the same position. They are flying around. So, my question is addressed to
> experienced Virtual Reality user: Is this described behavior right or not?

If it feels like it rotating around the center of your projection screen
reasonably then it means that stereo is working! if it is too much then
there is a problem of some coordinate transformations.

Let us know if you need some further help.