[Paraview] Problem with Slice filter via Script

DJ Quam dj.quam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:43:18 EST 2012

Hello all,

I am writing a Python script to automatically generate a few (approximately
5-10) slices through a volume dataset (Image data--uniform grid). Each time
I attempt to use my Python script to generate the slices, set the origin
and normal vectors, the Qt GUI of Paraview 3.12.2 (Win32 binaries) app
crashes with an exception pointing to the vtkVolumeRendering DLL (read
access violation).  This problem is repeatable.

However, when I attempt to create the slices manually (with the GUI) I am
able to create them without issue.  Does anyone know what might be causing
this problem? Am I missing something in the script?

Here is a snippet of my code that I know to be the trouble spot ("r" as a
PVDReader object already in place):
        tempSlice=Slice(r)
 tempSlice.SliceType.Origin=[temp.org_x, temp.org_y, temp.org_z]
 tempSlice.SliceType.Normal = [temp.norm_x, temp.norm_y, temp.norm_z]
Show(tempSlice)

Thanks,
DJ