[Paraview] ParticlePathLines Filter

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Thu Dec 6 03:36:11 EST 2012

The vtkTemporalPathLineFilter does not need to be attached to a stream tracer at all. It was developed for use with any particle dataset, (I just happened to use it with the temporal stream tracer as well and put that in the docs as an example). It is a general purpose filter for joining points up as time evolves and also allows you to provide a selection of points to use to subset the trails produced. The ParticlePath filter does work for this kind of data.
It's true that the Trails filter did not support particles jumping between processes in parallel, but why you would remove this filter is beyond me. Can the support for particles across process boundaries be added to the Trails filter?

I just tried the vtkTemporalPathLineFilter in 3.98 and some of the options seem to have disappeared. I will have to get it working again and submit a patch.

JB