[Paraview] Trying to run the servers on parallel

Kevin Hackel kevin.hackel at online.de
Mon Dec 3 16:18:46 EST 2012

Hello community,

This is my first e-mail to the mailing list, so I hope I do it right :-)
And sorry for my english, I try my best to make my mail understandable. If you can I would be pleased if you answer in german. Also I want you to know that I haven’t a great knowledge about informatics.

Well I try to use Paraview on parallel, but I think it doesn’t work right how I do it.
I use a remote PC on which I will run the Paraview client and a extern server with up to 48 CPUs and good GPUs.
So I start the server using “mpirun –np ‘number’ ../pvserver” or “mpirun –np ‘number’ ../pvserver –display localhost:0” (my Paraview is compiled with openmpi on a linux system). Then I connect over the remote PC in Paraview to this server (client/server mode).
It works, but not well. I’ve got test data (about 1GB) and it takes about two minutes to change for example the filter from outline to wireframe. Also when I want to move the image with drag and drop it takes about five seconds to rerender it. I think for only 1GB it takes too long for doing this.
Also I’m not sure if my server uses its GPUs or only its CPUs, I don’t know how to find it out.
Would it be better to use my remote PC only as a display?
Could you tell me how Paraview scales with  the number of data sets and number of processes. Should I use ‘x’ processes to load ‘x’ data sets? Or is it better to use more processes than data sets (for example: Would it be better to use 8 processes for loading 6 data sets than using 6 processes?)
Is there another way how I could start my server that it will work better? Or what can I change that it will work better?

I hope you can help me a little bit and give me tips how I should use Paraview on parallel. Thanks.

Greetings,

Kevin