[Paraview] Creating Large Datasets from CSV

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Wed Aug 15 15:04:03 EDT 2012

David,

I'm CC'ing the list in case it helps others or others have insight.

I'm accessing the Xdmf2 and H5 libraries through C++. The XML
descriptions generated by our translator are sometimes several
megabytes. They are large because there are sometimes many hundreds of
time steps and a dozen or so fields, and the data is replicated in
several grids in the various coordinate spaces that our collaborators
want to see.

I did some profiling of the Xdmf2 library and the problem seems to be
that when the XML text is being generated, the buffer reallocation
strategy is to create a new buffer with just enough room to hold the
newly serialized XML, and the text in the previous buffer is copied
into the new buffer. In other words, there is a lot of excess copying
going on. I modified my local copy of the Xdmf2 library to change the
memory reallocation strategy to double the size of the buffer any time
a reallocation is needed, and that sped up the serialization
tremendously. Building the Xdmf tree still took a long time, but I
haven't looked into why that is slow.

I may be wrong, but Xdmf2 doesn't seem to be under active development
and there doesn't seem to be much community support of it, which is a
shame because it is a nice format.

Cory

Cory Quammen
Research Associate