[Paraview] newbie question -- cannot run simple example

newsboost newsboost at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 18:37:13 EDT 2012

On 05/01/2012 12:18 AM, David E DeMarle wrote:
>> write back to the list, if I run into big trouble. Thanks David... Maybe you
>> could also comment on the ubuntu package-system, it sounds like you don't
>> think it is so good or that it - interferes with vtk - if I understand you
>> correct?
> Not quite. I assume the ubuntu packages (for both VTK and ParaView)
> are fine. What I am saying is that you should understand that there is
> a difference between VTK and ParaView.

Oh, so "I suggest you compile VTK from source, with python wrapping
enabled and use that directly" wasn't any criticism of ubuntu's package
system?

I'm not good enough at understanding the whole difference between vtk
and paraview, but in any case (you already wrote an explanation) I can
now do some basic things by saving a script from inside of paraview and
running/modifying it from the terminal... This is ok for me, at this
very initial stage... When I learn more, I'll always ask again.