[Paraview] newbie question -- cannot run simple example

newsboost newsboost at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 07:50:32 EDT 2012

Hi Anton,

Thanks for the suggestion.
--------
from paraview.simple import *
from vtk.vtkRenderingPython import * # <===== NEW LINE
#from vtk.libvtkRenderingPython import *

# Create a view
view = CreateRenderView()

# Initialize a new interactor
iren = vtkRenderWindowInteractor()
iren.SetInteractorStyle(vtkInteractorStyleTrackball())
iren.SetRenderWindow(view.GetRenderWindow())
iren.Initialize()

# Build pipeline
Sphere()
Show()
Render()

# Start interaction
iren.Start()
--------

Gives:
----
$ python test.py
Warning: In
/build/buildd/vtk-5.8.0/Rendering/vtkInteractorStyleTrackball.cxx, line 29
vtkInteractorStyleTrackball (0x3798210): vtkInteractorStyleTrackball
will be deprecated in
the next release after VTK 4.0. Please use
vtkInteractorStyleSwitch instead.

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "test.py", line 11, in <module>
     iren.SetRenderWindow(view.GetRenderWindow())
TypeError: argument 1: method requires a VTK object
----

I don't have any clue about what to do - I suspect it has something to
do with the new ubuntu 12.04. Maybe I should fill in a bug report
somewhere to ubuntu maintainers (not expactly sure where, however)? Also
the pvpython thing, maybe should make me fill in a bug report for ubuntu
12.04 ?
------
$ pvpython test.py
Error converting executable file "/usr/bin/../lib/paraview/pvpython" to
real path: No such file or directory
------

Thanks, although it annoys me such a simple example is not working... I
cannot get starting learning vtk if I cannot run the simplest
examples... :-(