[Paraview] calculate flow rate through a "selected" cross-section?

Pei-Ying Hsieh phsieh2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 11:30:07 EDT 2012

Thanks a lot David!

Both methods worked great!

Pei-Ying

________________________________
From: David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com>
To: Pei-Ying Hsieh <phsieh2005 at yahoo.com>
Cc: paraview <paraview at paraview.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Paraview] calculate flow rate through a "selected" cross-section?

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Pei-Ying Hsieh <phsieh2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, David,
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I tried Generate Surface Normal first, then, did Integrate Variables.  I got
> values for "Surface Normal (vector)" "p (scalar)" "U (vector)" ...
>
> It looks like integrate only sums up each parameter, so that, Surface Normal
> and U are still a vector.  It does not do U dot A.

You still need the calculator filter to compute the dot product.

data->normals->calculator->integrate

> I have also tried Surface Flow.  I got two values for Surface Flow,
> something like [-3.64248e-6 -3.64248e-6].  Shouldn't it be just one value?

Those two are the same value. It is an artifact of the fact that the
information tab typically shows characteristics of whole arrays. In
this case you have an array with just one element. Show the output of
the filter in the spreadsheet view instead.