[Paraview] error making ParaView

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Fri Apr 20 11:02:33 EDT 2012

Celia,

Please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173406.aspx on
how to edit the environment in Visual Studio 10. Set the environment

PATH=<path to your Qt DLL directory>

You don't necessarily need the %PATH% part Utkarsh referred to.

Then you can run ParaView from within Visual Studio.

Hope that helps,
Cory

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Utkarsh Ayachit
<utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:
> I won't be able to help you with how to set the paths up from the VS
> IDE, some other Windows developers may want to help you there. Here's
> what I do to setup evironment correctly before lauching the
> paraview.exe
>
> * Start the VS COmmand Prompt
>
> * do the following to extend the PATH
>
>  set PATH=<Location of all Qt dlls>;%PATH%
>
> *  cd <Location of paraview.exe>
>
> * Now run the paraview.exe from the command prompt itself.
>
>  paraview.exe
>
> To setup environment globally, look at:
> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm
>
> Utkarsh
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Celia Bremer <fuwsle at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How do I do that? I tried putting QtGui4.dll in System32 folder and I also tried setting Project> Properties> Debugging> Environment to the Qt bin directory (and Merge Environment = Yes), but I'm still getting the same error, so I guess that's not what you meant.
>>

>> Also, what do you mean about setting PATH /before/ starting Paraview? If the PV project isn't open, Project> Properties is greyed out - but once the PV project opens, I don't have to do anything to add Qt bin directory to PATH, it's already there.
>>

>> Thank you.

Cory Quammen
Research Associate
Department of Computer Science