[Paraview] Recommended Data Format

Truman Ellis truman at ices.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 13 12:53:34 EDT 2012

I am working on an academic Discontinuous Petrov-Galerkin finite element
code and would like to output to a Paraview readable format, but there
are so many options, I'm not sure where to start. So I am looking for
some recommendations.

Our requirements are as follows. Our code makes heavy use of adaptive
mesh refinement resulting in hanging nodes with both triangles and
quads, so our mesh is fairly complex. Further complicating things, in
addition to standard field variables we have trace DOFs that only live
on element edges which we would like to be able to visualize. One of my
co-authors on the code has implemented a Matlab script to plot these
things, but this is obviously not very portable.

Any suggestions?

--
Truman Ellis