[Paraview] visualize atomistic data: memory hawk, crashing

Steffen Brinckmann Steffen.Brinckmann at icams.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Apr 11 04:51:46 EDT 2012

Hey,
I have some (1e6) atomistic data in paraview (nice xyz filesupport).
Visualizing it as points is possible and very fast, but squares don't
look too hot as atoms. So I tried to switch to 3D Glyphs, and that is
when the problem begins.

The memory consumption increases to a point where I run out of memory,
when I use Filter->3D Glyphs and then choose "unmask" to see all atoms.
When I choose the representation style (without Filter) as 3D Glyphs,
the CPU usage increases and the software locks down.

On the other hand, there is software (Ovito, Tecplot) (which I don't
want to use for some reason) that can display this amount of data in a
1-4 seconds.

Is there some hint that some of the paraview users can give me? Did I
overlook something pretty obvious?

Thanks for the help,
Steffen