[Paraview] Reorientation of a volume

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Apr 6 07:19:54 EDT 2012

VTK's support for non axis aligned volumes is limited to the
vtkStructuredGrid class. Like vtkImageData and vtkRectilinearGrid, it
is used to represent topologically regular images and volumes. However
the geometry is unconstrained in this class and you have to supply
coordinates for every point. This implies even greater memory use.

So what I suggest is load in your raw data in ParaView as normal then
apply the python programmable filter or python calculator to:
1) change the type to vtkStructuredGrid
2) compute and populate a buffer with the correct coordinates for each point
3) use vtkStructuredGrid::SetPoints to tell the StructuredGrid to use
that buffer as the data set's geometry

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer