[Paraview] Naming of inputs in ParaView plugins

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Wed Apr 4 17:02:20 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I learned after several hours of tinkering today that in a ParaView
plugin XML description file for a filter that takes one input source,
the "name" attribute of the InputProperty element *must* have the
value "Input". If it does not, then the filter will work as expected,
but it will not appear as a child of its input filter/source in the
pipeline browser. Instead, it appears as a child of the server.

For example, this produces the proper pipeline browser appearance:

      <InputProperty
         name="Input"
         port_index="0"
         command="SetInputConnection">

This, however, will produce make the filter appear to be a child of
the server in the pipeline browser:

      <InputProperty
         name="FirstInput"
         port_index="0"
         command="SetInputConnection">

Note that for filters that take several inputs, you are free to assign
any value to the "name" attribute, as far as I know.

I've noted this requirement in the ParaView wiki page on making
XML_Only plugins:

http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Plugin_HowTo#XML_Only

Cheers,
Cory