[Paraview] Plotting 3d point data in paraview

Ewan Towie Ewan.Towie at glasgow.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 08:44:12 EDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I am a fairly new user of Paraview but I am having difficulty in plotting a very large set of 3D point data. I output data from Fortran to a .vtk file using the polydata dataset followed by the point_data for each particle. (I output the data in ASCII format at the moment, still not sure how to do the binary output with Fortran..) Loading the resultant vtk file into Paraview and using the Glyph filter I can assign a sphere to each point and get a good plot of the 3D position using the default Glyph filter options (max number of 5000 points).

The problem arises when I try to plot all my particles in paraview by increasing the maximum number of points in the Glyph filter. I am trying to plot around 190000 particles and if I set the filter to plot this Paraview just chokes! I have done such plots in the past using Tecplot so I know this isn't impossible.

Can anyone offer any help with this problem?

I should say that I am running this on an 8-core workstation with 24Gb of RAM, so I doubt I am hitting RAM limits ;-)

Ewan