[Paraview] reader plugin in pvbatch

joseph insley insley at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 21 21:24:37 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have a custom ParaView reader plugin that I've written, which works as expected when loaded and used through the GUI, but I'm having trouble getting it to work with pvbatch.  I have tried a couple of different approaches, with varying degrees of success.  The one that gets furthest is this..

Using the GUI I load the plugin.  I'm running in client/server mode, so load the plugin for both sides.  I then load a custom data file using this plugin.  An unstructured grid is generated and rendered, this works as expected.  I then save the state.
If I relaunch ParaView and the pvserver, again load the plugin on both sides, and load the state file that I just saved, the data is loaded and rendered.  So far, so good.

For pvbatch I try running with the following script:

------------------
try: paraview.simple
except: from paraview.simple import *

servermanager.LoadPlugin('/home/insley/libMyCustomReader.so')
servermanager.LoadState("/home/insley/my_state_flle.pvsm")

curView = GetRenderView()
SetActiveView(curView)
curView.ViewSize = [1920, 1080]
curView.StillRender()
WriteImage("/home/insley/test_image.png")

I call DebugOn() in the constructor of my class, and see lots of output from pvbatch so it seems that the plugin is getting loaded correctly.  I see output from the RequestInformation() in my reader class, but I do not see anything from the RequestData() method.  So it appears that RequestData() is never called, and the actual data is not being read from disk.  Is there something additional that I need to do to cause that to be invoked?

After the RequestInformation() output I see a number of printouts about my class being Registered and UnRegistered by other classes (vtkClientServerInterpreter, vtkCompositeDataPipeline, etc) and the output from my class' destructor.

A black image (of resolution 1920x1080) is saved to /home/insley/test_image.png

Any insight that folks could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
joe.

joseph a. insley                                                      insley at mcs.anl.gov
mathematics & computer science division