[Paraview] Reading Ply files

Painchaud, Stephen Stephen.Painchaud at bakerhughes.com
Thu Sep 8 20:30:29 EDT 2011

I have created a ply file, but I am having problems viewing it in ParaView.  My faces are polygons with up to 42 segments. I have 12 faces in total, each a solid color. If I load the complete file the polygons are messed up, but all the vertices look correct. In wireframe view I see extra connections that should not be there.

If I retain just one face (and all the vertices), I can get a very nice wireframe view, but the surface view is not a solid color and strays outside the polygon segments. I can create 12 separate files, each containing one of the faces, and each one looks good in the wireframe view.

Am I missing some setting in ParaView? Have I found a bug? I am new to the program. I have attached some examples, the full file is formation.ply and face 12 is in the other file. Face 12 is especially bad about showing features outside the segments.