[Paraview] Getting the coordinates of the point with max temperature

Tibi Chelcea tchelcea at transim.com
Wed Sep 7 13:45:51 EDT 2011

Hi David,

Thank you very much for the hint. I'm still not entirely sure I'm getting it
right, though. Here's what I've done:

reader = sources.XMLUnstructuredGridReader(FileName =
'C:\\mypath\\output0020.vtu')
reader.UpdatePipeline()

info_base = reader.GetDataInformation().DataInformation
pointDataInfo = info_base.GetPointDataInformation()

temp_max = 0
# here I get the max temperature across all points
for i in range(pointDataInfo.GetNumberOfArrays()):
	ai = pointDataInfo.GetArrayInformation(i)
	if ai.GetName().lower() == 'temperature':
		temp_max = ai.GetComponentRange(0)[1]

# temp_max is computed correctly at this point, declare the threshold to be
95% to 105% of the max temperature
th = filters.Threshold(Input = reader)
th.SelectInputScalars = ['0', '0', '0', '1', 'temperature']
th.ThresholdBetween = [temp_max*0.95,temp_max*1.05]
th.UpdatePipeline()
Fetch(th)

pdi = th.GetDataInformation().DataInformation
print pdi

At this point, 'print pdi' produces this:

vtkPVDataInformation (0000000004089090)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 116455
  Reference Count: 2
  Registered Events: (none)
  RootOnly: 0
  DataSetType: 4
  CompositeDataSetType: -1
  NumberOfPoints: 0
  NumberOfRows: 0
  NumberOfCells: 0
  NumberOfDataSets: 1
  MemorySize: 0
  PolygonCount: 0
  Bounds: 1e+299, -1e+299, 1e+299, -1e+299, 1e+299, -1e+299
  Extent: 2147483647, -2147483647, 2147483647, -2147483647, 2147483647,
-2147483647

It seems that there are no points selected. I'm wondering whether the
th.SelectInputScalars does what's it's supposed to do (I've copied that from
some examples in the mailing list). I'm using Paraview 3.4.0 (the latest
Paraview 3.10.1 works only in GUI, but fails to execute any script in
pvbatch).

Thanks,
Tibi