[Paraview] Compiling Paraview on cluster

Chourasia, Amit amit at sdsc.edu
Tue Nov 1 14:58:47 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am trying to compile paraview for general usage on one of our clusters at SDSC.
I wanted to ask what are the common paraview installation practices that are useful for general purpose. I would certainly need to compile the paraview server

  1.  Do I compile paraview with OSMesa or Xlib? (X is available on the cluster, will this require X on client?). Is it better to avoid X?
  2.  Do I compile with QT or without on cluster
  3.  Which compiler and which MPI to use (we have intel and gnu compilers, MPI, mvapich and openmpi) ?

I looked at the following page and unsure how to go about this
http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView_And_Mesa_3D

At the moment I am stuck on mesa compilation and the choice I make here will determine Paraview's compilation.
When I try to compile Mesa-7.11 or Mesa-7.9 I get the following error

python2 -t -O -O builtins/tools/generate_builtins.py ./builtin_compiler > builtin_function.cpp || rm -f builtin_function.cpp
  File "builtins/tools/generate_builtins.py", line 28
    with open(filename) as f:
            ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I have tried to use
A) make linux-x86_64
B) ./configure --with-driver=xlib --prefix=/work/achourasia/mesa_build/ --disable-gallium  --with-gallium-drivers=""
If I don’t pass --disable-gallium  --with-gallium-drivers="" the configure fails
checking for llvm-config... no
configure: error: LLVM is required to build Gallium R300 on x86 and x86_64

Please advice
Thanks
--Amit