[Paraview] reading png serie as a volume

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon May 30 11:13:23 EDT 2011

Please keep the discussion on the mailing list so that everyone can
contribute to and benefit from the answers.

We don't have a clean way to disambiguate between when a series of files
means temporal extent or when it means spatial partitions (or both for that
matter). In the case of PNG ParaView thinks it always means temporal. To get
around that you could either:
1) make a plugin (an XML only plugin might work) that exposes vtkPNGReader's
SetFilePrefix and SetFilePattern interface. See the ImageReader proxy
definition in readers.xml for an example.
2) from the python shell, instantiate a VTK level vtkPNGReader and
vtkImageDataWriter to convert formats into something that ParaView
recognizes as a volume.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer