[Paraview] Problems with 'interpolate scalars before mapping' in v3.10

Nenad Vujicic nenadus at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:03:13 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

Perhaps I was a bit unclear in my previous messages. Here are more
details about the problem and test case.

I use ParaView v3.10.1 release sources, Visual Studio 2008 SP1, Python
2.7, OpenMPI 1.4.3 on Vista SP2. I compiled sources with standard
options (just turned on BUILD_SHARED_LIBS, MPI and Python). I derived
new class from vtkExporter, vtkMyExporter, and in
vtkMyExporter::WriteData() I call code specified down. The problem is
in QMessage line, which reports always 0, even when this flag is
turned on. Same is happening with most of other parameters.

I believe that learning how to decompose composite ptrActor into
several actors with vtkPolyDataMapper mapper and vtkPolyData data will
solve all other problems (which occur when generating texture from
scalars). At the moment, I'm interested only in actors which use
vtkCompositePolyDataMapper2 mappers. As input I use disk_out_ref.ex2
with selected H2 (or any other channel) for mapping colors. Does
anyone have any idea how this can be done? Btw, this worked perfectly
under ParaView v.3.8.1 and with RenderWindow created using VTK 5.4.2
(where I create vtkCompositePolyDataMapper2 and populate it manually).

Thank You very much for Your help!

Best regards,
Nenad.

--------------------

1) Get interactive renderer 'InteractiveRenderer' from
vtkMyExporter::RenderWindow
2) For every actor 'ptrActor' (3D actors only) in InteractiveRenderer do:

    vtkCompositeDataIterator* actor_iterator;
    vtkCompositePolyDataMapper2* composite_mapper = NULL;

    // get actor's mapper
    vtkMapper* mapper = ptrActor->GetMapper();
    if(mapper == NULL)
        return true; // discard

    // get mapper's input
    vtkCompositeDataSet* composite_input_data =
dynamic_cast<vtkCompositeDataSet*>(mapper->GetInputDataObject(0, 0));
    if(composite_input_data != NULL)
    {
        // get actor's composite mapper
        composite_mapper = dynamic_cast<vtkCompositePolyDataMapper2*>(mapper);
        if(composite_mapper == NULL)
            return false;

        // in case input data is composite object, get iterator for traversing
        actor_iterator = composite_input_data->NewIterator();

        // initialize iterator for traversing
        actor_iterator->InitTraversal();
        actor_iterator->GoToFirstItem();
    }
    else
        actor_iterator = NULL;

    // export all components of input actor
    for(;;)
    {
        vtkSmartPointer<vtkActor> actor;

        // if input data is composite object, create actor with
current component as data, otherwise use entire actor (I do this
because I need actor with vtkPolyDataMapper and vtkPolyData data for
vtkScalarsToColorsPainter)
        if(actor_iterator != NULL)
        {
            // check if there are no more components
            if(actor_iterator->IsDoneWithTraversal())
                break;

            // get next component
            vtkDataObject* data_object = actor_iterator->GetCurrentDataObject();
            if(dynamic_cast<vtkPolyData*>(data_object) != NULL)
            {
                // get poly data
                vtkPolyData* poly_data =
dynamic_cast<vtkPolyData*>(data_object);

                // create new temporary poly data mapper
                vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataMapper> poly_data_mapper =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataMapper>::New();

                // copy mapper's parameters
                poly_data_mapper->ShallowCopy(composite_mapper);

                // set mapper's input
                poly_data_mapper->SetInput(poly_data);

                // create new actor
                actor = vtkSmartPointer<vtkActor>::New();

                // copy actor parameters
                actor->ShallowCopy(ptrActor);

                // set actor's mapper
                actor->SetMapper(poly_data_mapper);
            }
            else
            {
                return false;
            }
        }
        else
            actor = ptrActor;

        // report some actor's property
        QMessageBox::about(NULL, "",
QString::number(ptrActor->GetMapper()->GetInterpolateScalarsBeforeMapping()));

        // perform transformation from scalars to texture using
	vtkScalarsToColorsPainter class

        // extract data from ptrActor (I use previously generated
texture instead of colors / scalars)

        // write to my custom format

        // if input is not composite, break the loop
        if(composite_input_data == NULL)
            break;

        // set iterator on next item
        if(actor_iterator != NULL)