[Paraview] using vtkInformation in 3.10

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:09:05 EDT 2011

Hi Utkarsh,

Yes, I had connected the reader or source directly to the filter with no
other filters intervening.

I have used the keys for a number of things. In addition to passing meta
data I also implemented dynamic load balancing in a couple of algorithms
by passing vtkObjects. For example the demand loading strategy in our
stream tracer expects to receive a reader object in the pipeline
information. The reader object also implements a LRU block cache to
reduce I/O footprint.

We've used a similar strategy to generate seed cell geometry on demand,
where our volume source passes a cell generator object downstream in the
pipeline information which the stream tracer uses to access any cell in
any order (dynamic load balancing part) with a minimum communication and
memory footprint. We did that because we  ran our of memory when both
the source and the stream tracer had a copy of the seed geometry.

The use case I'm describing is the generation of topographic maps of the
magnetosphere which in the 3D case requires 10's of millions of stream
traces and the seed geometry is colored in the mapper output. Dynamic
load balancing of the stream tracing provides a nice speed up.

The vtkPVPostFilter looks to add nice new features to extracting
components form vectors and converting cell to point data and so on. I
do see why PV can't copy keys from input to output blindly.  But, do you
think vtkPVPostFilter could copy the information from input to output as
well? It doesn't after all modify the existing arrays or geometry (if
I'm reading it right it only adds arrays if they are requested).? Or is
there another work around that would get our filters working again?

Thanks
Burlen