[Paraview] Maybe a silly question?

David Thompson dcthomp at sandia.gov
Wed Mar 23 16:32:52 EDT 2011

Hi Ken,

> I have an Exodus II type file loaded into Paraview and trying to get
> the point ID for a group of cells. I know for vtk type object there
> are functions like GetCell(), GetPoint()

I assume you're talking about using Python from ParaView?

> and just wonder if there are such kind of routines available for
> Exodus II files.

Yes, the ExodusII reader outputs VTK objects in a multiblock dataset.
You can use GetCell(), GetPoint(), and such on each individual
block... you just have to decide on a particular block. The ExodusII
reader separates things into blocks because each one may have
different point and/or cell variables. There are actually 2 levels of
blocks; the top level segregates datasets into groups that correspond
to exodus blocks vs. sets. The second level breaks individual blocks
or sets into separate datasets. Does that help?

	David